Monday, March 10, 2008

the weekend

Saturday night, the pookies played music at our church for a night of performances by the Chinese school that uses the facility on Saturdays. Beforehand, as has been a new ritual for me, I jumped on one of the high schoolers' skateboards, and returned to the days of kickflips and nose wheelies. Well, after several brief but weekly skate sessions at church, I’m actually recovering some old tricks I never thought I’d revisit in my thirties (or any other decade after the first two). I landed a frontside no-comply pivot-out Saturday night. Man, that felt good. SOMEBODY holla back.
And of course, my body ached that night from repeated falls and jerky movements.

The Pookies went to San Jose yesterday to see our friend get baptized. The sermon that preceded her baptism was our first experience in a church’s “listening room,” in other words, “the room where babies can scream and not interrupt the service.”

My friend in New York called during the luncheon that followed to say that he and his wife are pregnant. Knowing the joy of our own newborn, that was exciting to hear. He noted my blog entries that document the difficulties of being new parents, and it makes me wonder what kind of picture I’ve painted of being a new parent. Well, I abide by the standard line that it’s all worth it, and would add that I’m beside myself with adoration for our little pooklet now, and can’t wait to experience the different stages of the father-son relationship to come. However, I am wary of the teenage years.

Before returning home, we hit the Korean grocery store, HanKook, and the wifey went a little nuts with the selection. We bought some really good raw fish for our dinner, packed it in ice, and had pseudo-sushi when we got home. We wrapped it with warm rice in Korean sesame-flavored seaweed paper, sprinkled some fish roe on it and had the perfect meal for the end of a nice, full weekend.

On a side note, the pookies have been eating a tablespoon of local honey every day as a recommended remedy to combat the local allergens. (I, in particular, have evil eczema on my shin that I'll do just about anything to get rid of. Scratching till i bleed doesn't seem to be working.) So, what happens is that we only remember/have time to take our honey at night, right before bed. it's not the best sleep aid, but the crash that follows helps.

No comments: