Tuesday, March 18, 2008

fighting promotion

the pookies began a study of Hebrews last night with a new bunch of people our age, mostly married couples. A lovely couple hosted in a lovely home in a lovely Brookside neighborhood, with a lovely dinner to boot.

At work, I've been thinking about the network of management and how much more difficult it must be to maintain a godly servant's attitude when you have people under you. I've never really had that responsibility, and credit that, in part, as something that's helped me to be more easy-going and humble. What's humbling, however, is how much more difficult it would be if I had power. I find I like responding to requests, and doing the best I can for whomever asks, even when they conflict, but this is far easier - this reactive life - than balancing gentleness with effectiveness as a manager or officer in a company. When I used to play capoeira, my disposition handicapped my game. My playfulness did not the fight aspect serve well.

that's all. just the musings of an aspiring servant.

2 comments:

James Elston said...

dude, you use too many big words in a row:
"my disposition simultaneously informed and handicapped my game."
That's a tongue twister. You should stagger your big words, so you can have more flow.
just a thought.

I read your blog every time you update it.
:-)

Adam said...

i'm glad you told me. there must be a difference in writing for enjoyment and reading for enjoyment.
i'm gonna work on the latter. bear with me. i'm glad you're still reading.

i edited that line, too...

:)