Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My New Year's Leaves

In addition to journaling more, I'm hoping to memorize praise songs and hymns with a frequency commensurate with the high priority I've given it among all "desk things" - computer and paperwork, mostly.

My days have been typified by interruption these last few weeks, and free time as fleeting as it is, I've begun the habit of asking myself what would be the best thing to do when I'm at my bedroom desk before myriad worthwhile time-consuming options. Sad that I have to use words like "self-discipline" in the realm of personal email and web surfing, but I have to be intentional about the goals I've set so that, for example, when I'm trying to lull Isaac to sleep in my arms, I have more than one song memorized to sing to him.

For although I'd be quite content to limit my home activities to the following short list, the computer is yet a thief of my time and I a willing victim.

- wife and/or son interaction
- bible study
- reading
- prayer
- singing/memorizing songs

I state quietly this new leaf I'm overturning as I fear the return of my 9-hour work days, knowing how quickly the evenings vanish without a child to enjoy and care for.


I've had really great devotions the last couple days, and rewriting my notes as journal entries will help me process (and hopefully better retain) what I've meditated on.

So today I've memorized the song "The Glory of the Cross." Unfortunately, it came three days too late, as my wife and I sang this before the congregation on Sunday.


My scripture reading today included the following highlight:

Psalm 149:4-5

"For the Lord takes delight in His people;
He crowns the humble with salvation.
Let the saints rejoice in this honor
and sing for joy on their beds."

For the Lord takes delight in His people;
It's amazing that, despite knowing that God loves us, the Lord actually delights in those who know Him as their Heavenly Father.

He crowns the humble with salvation.

Humility is necesary to recognize Jesus as Lord, and salvation is indeed a reward, the undeserved crown bequeathed by the only holy God to any sinner who would come to Him brokenhearted over his sin.

Let the saints rejoice in this honor

I don't rejoice in this honor enough. The ironic thing is that I love to sing praises, whether it's in my church's worship band, with my wife in our bedroom as she plays guitar, or by myself as I walk the halls at my job. But I don't do it enough. I long to remove from my hours the things that entertain and distract me, and concentrate more on active, intentional worship of the King.

and sing for joy on their beds.

'Beds' is translated 'couch' in some bibles. I want our home to be one of frequent songs praising God. I want Isaac to hear good theology in winsome melody from the lips of his parents, and hide it along with scripture in his heart. I want the same for myself.
As a light sleeper, I've tried prayer while lying awake in bed. But I've not tried (quiet) song. Maybe I can sing myself to sleep.

I've dived into one of my Christmas presents, Warren Wiersbe's Old Testament commentary, and it's typically great Wiersbe. Reading his insights into Psalm 149, he cited Matthew 26:30 as an instance of Jesus singing a hymn with his disciples. I wish I could see and hear them now. Although, this vision would have to have subtitles, as they'd probably be singing in Hebrew.

No comments: