Tuesday, May 6, 2008

medical journal

5.3.2008
I rode my bike for, like, the third time in two and a half years, to my dermatologist appointment, and realized that my pro-preventative care clinic doesn't have any bike racks.
Since my flucinonide hasn't cured my shin exzema, I got a prescription for clobetasol, which is stronger.
So this is my new regimen to survive the central valley:
2x/day:
Q-tip hydrocortisone on ears
thin layer of clobetasol on left shin, upper right back, behind right knee. three weeks max, then one week off.
Adorex (better than benadryl) antihistimine before bed.  I can be upgraded to Lydex if Adorex aint cuttin it.
Refrigerated Sarna for anti-itch relief
and, of course, vaseline.

this is the pooklet's routine for his "pretty mild" active exzema:
cetaphil 1x/day
mustela 2x/day minimum
bathe 1x day
0.25% hydrocortisone on irritated spots under his ears (topical steroids are safe for infants, according to the doctor)
Hm. I have here in my notes, but not in my recollection, we're supposed to administer triamcinolone under the moisturizers?  Ahh, triamcinolone.  That takes me back
*aquaphor is recommended as superior and longer-lasting than mustela, but much more difficult to apply.

For his flaky and slightly scabby scalp, baby or mineral oil is OK, but we began using another mustela product.
The doctor told us that diaper rashes, pooklet's recurring problem, are generally not caused by food allergies, and the more foods we can expose him to, the better, which is encouraging, given the soy and dairy his mother has given up.  Other good news is that judging by how good pooklet's skin is now, it's unlikely that he'll turn out to be one of the more severe cases of exzema we'd heard about.

No comments: