Thursday, March 31, 2011

to ride on the heights of the land

"If because of the sabbath, you turn your foot from doing your own pleasure on My holy day, and call the sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable, and honor it, desisting from your own ways, from seeking your own pleasure and speaking your own word, then you will take delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; and I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

- Isaiah 58:13-14

What is the application for those on this side of the new covenant? If we are wishy-washy on setting aside an actual day of the week, what other device do we need to re-member (ourselves to) God and the covenant He's established? God not only deserves the honor but promises delight to "the heights of the earth" for His people who act in accordance with their sanctification.

Crucial to the sabbath is the concept of holy rest and with it the profound absence of doing that's so hard for the busy to submit to.
Reflecting on the sabbath makes me realize how reluctant I am to give up my plans for a weekend day and "desist from (my) own ways... seeking (my) own pleasure." For even pragmatism can become a stumbling block if, despite the practicality of "catching up" from the week, it obscures the habit provided by God of honoring Him and partaking in the holy.

No comments: