Sunday, April 13, 2008

cries for playtime, cries for food

Slow news day on the baby front, but oh, well, here's the Daily Pooklet...


The wisdom is, at four and a half months of age, if a pooklet is traveling toward bedtime on 40oz of milk for the day, then he can sleep 9 hours straight.

Well, yesterday, he had roughly 36oz. Pookie assured me by remote that I could probably ignore his vocalizing during the night, as long as it was between 9pm and 6am. Light sleeper that I am, I awoke at 4am to one of his conversations with himself, and had to keep telling myself what I’d read in baby sleep books: don’t go for him. It’s a trap. He just wants to play. But his crying slowly and subtly became more earnest until, at 5am, I responded to what I discerned were cries for milk. After giving him 7oz, I put him down until what I hoped would be his perfectly-timed next feeding: three hours later, right before I needed to leave for church.
That’s a night in the life of a pooklet. As I understand it, these aberrations happen to mama pook, too. Someone oughta read Pooklet the rules. What part of nine hours don’t you understand??

This afternoon, he seemed to be struggling again with wanting to drink yet finding it uncomfortable. He didn't behave like the acid reflux symptoms, but rather would periodically turn to the side so that the bottle nipple would come out of his mouth. Then he'd fuss a little, I'd put the bottle back in, and he'd resume drinking vigorously. This really draws out the feeding time. I'd burp him (or at least try to) and resume. Knowing he'd missed a nap or two, I put him down a couple times, wondering if he was too tired-fussy to eat (even though I think he needed milk), thinking maybe he'd get a much-needed nap, and then drink to the full after. I eventually got him to drink it all, and now I don't hear anything on the monitor.

I just set up a CD player in the nursery, and was using it for the first time. Maybe he just doesn't like classical music.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good job dad! I'm sure you're happy to have Grace back now! :)