Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Disaster Relief Training


Thursday evening, the Pookies and Pastor began a weekend of disaster relief training with the Southern Baptist Convention, which has the largest number of trained volunteers, more even than the Red Cross (which has the largest number of volunteers period).
We signed up for Water Purification and Clean-up and Recovery, with training on a front-loader called the Komatsu.

Friday, we got our training on the Komatsu.


Sit, Komatsu, Sit!


Upon hearing about the fires in southern California, I considered volunteering, but we decided that between our busy schedule before the baby arrives, and the chance of an early delivery (Pookie's brother came a month early, and my coworker delivered three weeks early), that we weren't committed to me going. Upon deciding against it, I found out my boss is taking nine business days off in a row starting tomorrow. That helped our decision settle well, though I'm not certain it counts as a sign from the Lord.
I still wish circumstances were more ideal to help, especially since this isn't the kind of thing that should be done only when convenient.

No comments: