Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Deacon

A couple Sundays ago, I began a leaders' study at our church, one initiated and led by our English-speaking pastor. We're reading through John MacArthur's book "The Master's Plan For the Church," in hopes of improving communication between the English-speaking and Chinese congregations. It is also for me a closer look at the office I've been offered, that of deacon. My guess is that I won't want this added responsibility when I'm to make the decision in early '08, and less so the added commitment of time, the handiest example of which is attendance in Sunday meetings.

Nonetheless, I reminded Pookie the Wifey that this study is great for my spiritual growth (and fun, too), largely because of what I'm studying, and not solely dependent on who I'm studying with, which is to say, if we achieve none of the aforementioned goals, it will still have been worthwhile. Independent study as a means to growth is far more enjoyable and effective for me than for her and this point will bear repeating in our marriage.

It's been wonderful seeing the Spirit's work in my sanctification, but it does require that I keep in mind the lack of growth my more biblically experienced wife is experiencing.

No comments: