Monday, November 8, 2010

identity

Part of my homework for BSF was to share what we'd sing to God and although it wasn't intended to be a literal song, really, I thought it was a good opportunity to praise Him with another attempt at hymnody.

The content coincides with the chapter we discussed yesterday in my Sunday school study of The Reason For God by Timothy Keller. The chapter, "The Problem of Sin," explains how sin is essentially finding one's identity in anything but God.


The rain outside my house
tapped softly on my door
My treasured comfort You would douse
I feared if I explored.
So I kept myself in safety dry,
among my idols near,
and studied rain in holy books,
my wisdom lacking fear.

I danced in puddles from Your rain
and stole from You delight.
Upon Your gifts I placed my stain
of pride in copyright.
Were man to know enough to pray
that You would yet entice us
He’d call on You from pleasures’ sway
to save before a crisis.

You turned my puddles into flood
and wet my eyes with joy.
I’m changed forever by Your blood
to be what You employ.
Don’t haste to wipe away my tears.
Your Name deserves reknown.
You’ve paved the way, dissolving fears.
To Your Commission I am bound.

Sing, my heart! Give rise, my voice!
The nations need to hear!
Make known that private hearts rejoice!
Request the public’s ear!
This is what the Lord has done.
Proclaim now His salvation.
“His victory is surely won”
the song for every nation.

No comments: