Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad

My dad turned 70 yesterday. The following I wrote in his card. I'm sharing it cuz I'm proud of him.

Dad,

I’m so grateful that I have a dad I love to celebrate on his birthday.

I regularly hear about deadbeat and dubious dads. Your steadfastness over the decades as a husband and a father has made you a unique thing in this day and age. I admire you tremendously. You’re wonderful with people and I love reflecting on your kindness, grace, meekness, and wisdom.

You know what a really great day for me would be? Playing golf with you at Benona, and then teleporting to your house to join (or even just observe) your men’s group. There, I’m convinced, is God’s intent for our pleasure – the culmination of humility before God, joy in fellowship, and a grown-up son still enjoying his dad’s example, knowing he’s loved by the one he admires. Thanks, Dad. I love you.

Happy birthday.

No comments: